Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

To: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: ewsinc@blazenet.net (Charlie Baldwin)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:41:32 -0500
Geoff Love wrote:

> Mark Sherman wrote:
> >
> > Dave Houser wrote:
> > >
> > > Mark,
> > > Anyone have any
> > > positive experiences regarding heat shields on T-series cars? Vapor
> > > lock on hot days or heavy traffic still a minor problem.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Dave Houser
> >
> > Dave:
> > I too would be interested in hearing of positive experiences with heat
>shields.  My TD
> > has a Marshall blower on it and can run extremely hotttt in July.  I've
>seen plans for
> > heat shields for stock 2-carb setups but it would take some creativity (and
>time) to
> > adapt it to the 1-carb blower installation.
> >
> > Mark Sherman
>
> In the course of my restoring T-Series motorcars, I always suggest to
> customers that they have me install a heat shield for their T-Series
> motors.  I have had several customers complain they have vapour lock
> problems.  It is not always a minor irritation, however.  It can be
> potentially dangerous.  One customer had stopped to re-fuel, and, having
> done so, pulled out onto a busy road just to have the engine stop at a
> most inconvenient time.  Fortunately, he was not hit by the oncoming
> traffic.
>
> With the usual 2 carb set up of the XPAG type engines, there is
> everylikelihood that petrol will be quickly boiled off from the carbs.
> due to their position adjacent to the exhaust manifold, (the  problem
> being exascerbated by a hot day), and this will usually happen over
> about a five to fifteen minute period, while the engine is idling or
> stopped. The addition of a heat shield, made of aluminium and lined
> with, dare I say it, ASBESTOS, has in all cases that I know of,
> completely cured the problem.
>
> I run a supercharged (Shorrock) TD, albeit without a heat shield. So
> far, I have not had any problem with petrol evaporation, as the single
> carb is mounted on the blower's extension manifold, and is further away
> from the exhaust manifold than the standard set- up.
>
> However, in order to increase the efficiency of the blower, I am
> considering fabricating an additional air intake manifold to try to
> enable the blower to ingest cooler air directly from outside the car,
> rather than that which is being inhaled from inside the engine
> compartment.  Superchargers, by their very nature, increase the
> temperature of the mixture being fed to the motor, and there by have a
> somewhat negative effect, although, of course, the advantages far
> outweigh the disadvantages.
>
> Geoff Love, The English Connection

Geoff,

Have you ever thought of offering heat shields for sale produced by the
elves at The English Connection? I, for one, would be interested. BTW,
there are other types of mineral fiber board available that do not
contain asbestos but will perform in a similar manner to that dreaded
material.

Charlie
'52 TD, '60 MGA, '66 MGB