Electric Fuel Pumps

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: "Feldman, Jack" <jack@ihcmail.ih.lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 07:27:58 -0600
Folks,
I got too many replies to my Fuel Pump question to answer individually.
Most of them were about putting a pump in series with the present one.

First, the reports indicated that the square electric pumps are
reliable. I was at Dick Leuning's shop in Milwaukee (Dick and his two
sons make their livings by repairing in the good months, and doing
frame-up restorations in the winter. What they don't know isn't worth
knowing). He said that the square pumps have gotten a bad rap. He has
installed many of them.

Secondly, to the sub thread of putting one in series with the present
SU, it can be done. Moss suggests hiding the second square pump if you
want to look original. Dick also said that he does that a lot.

I plan to have him do that to my car. I'll use the SU until it fails,
then I will flip the switch and go. I have almost been stranded by
burned points. The almost is because my wife spent an afternoon slamming
the right door on my XK140 every time the car faltered. The pump was
under the door. I don't plan to cary a spare and put it in when the old
one fails.

Thanks to all for their comments and thoughts.

Jack