Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

To: bharkins@tfb.com
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: Mark Sherman <MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:50:31 -0800
Bill Harkins wrote:

> I'm inerested too. I'm doing a TC restoration which will have a Marshall
> installed. Are you saying you have a heat problem even with the carb
> located way behind the s/c unit? What are your symptoms - any vapor
> lock?
>
> Bill Harkins
> Fallbrook, CA

Bill:
I've had the car six years--it runs great most of the time, but it will run hot
in the
summer.  When I first noticed that it ran hot, I had the radiator boiled out.
But one
day on a long uphill section of the interstate I lost power completely.  On the
shoulder
I came to the conclusion it was vaporlock.  (After ten minutes it cooled off
somewhat
and we were back on our way.)
Two years ago I had the differential gears changed to 4.3 and the reduced revs
reduced
the overall operating temps.  I also run that Red Line coolant additive which
may help a
little (or the positive effect may just be psychological).
Typically it runs fine as long as you are moving along.  On uphill interstate
sections
traveling over 60 on a hot sunny day the temperature gauge seems to work like
an
altimeter--as soon as you start heading downhill the temp gauge drops too.
If a long fast run terminates at a red light, the gauge will shoot up while you
wait for
the green light.  Once moving, the temperature drops off quickly.  If you shut
it down,
the lack of cooling will pin the needle to the maximum.
If you need any tips on the blower installation, let me know.  I've accumulated
a bunch
of info on it and it has been useful to others.

Safety fast!

Mark Sherman
'53 TD (Supercharged!)