Re: Show Me The Money

To: RWilli6970@aol.com
Subject: Re: Show Me The Money
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:17:54 -0500
RWilli6970@aol.com wrote:

> To anyone,
>
> I'm doing a complete restoration to original of a 67 MGB. I need some input
> as to about how much the car could be worth when done. I hope to sell it and
> build a garage. (The "B" hive). My labor is free but of the cost of parts is
> higher than the return potential than I might rethink my plans. If anyone has
> sold or bought a restored B and would share some info it would help alot. The
> car is COMPLETELY disassembled now and down to bare metal. The work will be
> done professionally. If you have bought/sold a car  how did you advertise and
> what were the most important features of the car.
>
> Side: I am looking for a passenger side seat and roof frame for the car.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick Williams

Rick,

Since I've been doing the same to my '67 MGB Roadster for the last 6
months, I've been asking the same question; not, however for sales
reasons, but for insurance.  I will  never, ever (and will not expect to
) recover my investment, so I have to take what my humble guide tells
me.  I figure that at best, the car will end up as a #2, considering
that this will be an "amateur" restoration.  I can expect that this lbc
will be worth between $8500 and $10,000. US.  This info comes from the
April '97 "Old Cars Price Guide"   Now I know that everyone has listened
to me moan and groan about the price of British cars these days, but in
this case I think my estimates are correct, since I will have invested
over $15000. by the time I'm through. I've run across a few folks out
there who would take this info and demand $20K + for a finished car like
this considering the investment, but, realistically, that price would be
fantasy.  Besides, after all this work, how could I part with this
beauty.

And that's MY $0.02 worth,  Good Luck.

Michael Ohleger
'67 MGB