Cool concepts

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cool concepts
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:10:59 -0600
Since Ray is sick of this topic, let me take a shot at it.

Try or think about this experiment.  Drop an ice cube into a glass of hot
water.  Do the same in a second glass.  Stir one glass and let the other
one just sit there.  The ice cube will melt much faster in the stirred
glass because the warm water moves by the cold surface faster.  The same
concept applies in your car.  The faster the fluid flows past the exchange
surface, the more energy is exchanged.

I believe that removing a thermostat on a non-sealed (non-pressurized)
cooling system could have a detrimental effect.  Not because the water
flows too fast but because the thermostat provided some flow resistance and
increased the pressure inside the engine, reducing the chance of localized
boiling.

Another possibility could be that coolant moving too fast could cause
cavitation in the water pump but again, this has nothing to do with the
fluid moving too fast to lose its heat.

I think that this has the same source as the story about some guy with a
chariot carrying the sun from West to East every night.  In the absence of
understanding, a solution is built from available knowledge.  Such myths
can be tough to kill.

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA too small to carry the sun