Final ride

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Final ride
From: ken regenfuse <kenregen@postoffice.ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:18:27 -0500
Normally I do not share my experiences with the list but I felt this one is
worthwhile. I usually spend
most of my time restoring LBC's rather than driving them. I have always
found the restoration process as exciting as the driving. But in this case
it is a bit different. Recently I advertised my V8
Austin Healey 3000 MK II for sale. It was something I had to do, due to a
pending divorce, and unfortunately the car had to be sold. I truly wish the
witch could have been sold instead of the car
but that was not the case. A gentleman from The Netherlands purchased the
car and I had to drive
the car to the port of New Jersey yesterday to be loaded on a ship to
Amsterdamn.
Knowing it was the final ride in this fine car for me I wanted to take full
advantage of it. It was 38
degrees out and the sun was shining, so down went the top and windows and
off I went. The trip
was 125 miles of blissful driving. This was truly a great touring car. At 60
mph when you punched
the throttle, before you knew it you were doing 90 and still going strong.
The ride was actually
quite warm and comfortable, never having to even put my gloves on. Traveling
east, the sun was never in my eyes and always warm on my side or back. All
the way I kept thinking about being 18
again when I had my first healey, a 100/6 and later a 3000. Since I knew
this would be my last ride
in a LBC for some time, I wanted to savor it for all it was worth, and it
was worth every minute of
the ride and then some. Two hours later I arrived at the port and said
goodbye to one fine car and once again had to face the reality of life and
and settle the rest of the divorce with the witch, and move on with life.
But for two hours on this one fine spring morning I had the opportunity to
once again go back in time and forget everything except how much fun I was
really having driving a fine sports car, and
as Robert Frost once said,  That Has Made All The Difference.............

  *** Remember:  Educate Today's Children, So We Don't Have To Punish
Tomorrow's Men ***

        Ken Regenfuse
E-Mail :   kenregen@ptd.net