Re: Is it cool?

To: john.kahoon@pcohio.com, MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Is it cool?
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 07:41:09 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-21 06:08:48 EST, john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John
Kahoon) writes:

<< If the water passes through the radiator too quickly, it retains too much
     heat and consequently the return coolant is at an elevated temp.
entering
     the block, where it picks up more heat, etc, etc. >>

Gentlemen,

Coolant going too fast though the radiator is not a problem as it is offset
by the same rate of the coolant flow through the engine.

There are two terms in heat transfer that are applicable here. They are
"laminar flow" and "turbulent flow". These are terms used in the surface
phenomena of media (coolant, air, etc.) at the heat transfer surface in heat
exchangers. Our radiator is a heat exchanger and so is the water jacket
surface in our engine. More rapid or "turbulent" flow is always preferred
over laminar flow to improve heat transfer. Our concern of coolant going too
fast though the radiator or the engine is simply not valid.

John is correct, our cars simply don't have quite enough radiator for the
engine, especially here in Texas.

Anything we can do to improve the air flow through the radiator or to
increase it's surface area will be useful, as will not running our engines
too lean or having the timing too far advanced.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget