Re: Is it cool?

To: Larryhoy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Is it cool?
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:59:36 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 Larryhoy@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Ray, I feel the same way you do.  The only thing that makes me wonder
> somewhat is I have heard that many factory racing teams (including MG in
> their day) replaced the thermostat with a special flow restrictor,,,,,  hmm.
>
> But I will need a little more hard evidence to convience me.
>
> Anyone out there run their car without a thermostat?
>
> Larry Hoy

Please understand what I'm saying.  I believe there may be circumstances
when a flow restriction *does* help cooling.  *If* that can happen, and I
am not at all certain it can, I contend it happens for some reason other
than a slowing of the flow through the radiator.  Possibly there are some
unusual circumstances when a small restriction actually speeds up flow.
Perhaps the water pump cavitates without a restriction, who knows.  As a
teacher, I dislike bogus explanations even if they sometime lead to the
right conclusion.  My ex wife was absolutely convinced the sky was blue
because it was a reflection of the ocean.  Used to drive me nuts.

What i disagree with is the old explanation that you have to slow down
the water passage through the radiator, to give the water time to lose
its heat.

I cannot imagine that you use a thermostat in winter, because it slows
down flow and makes the engine run hotter, then use a thermostat in
summer because it slows down flow and makes the engine run cooler.  Yeah,
right.

This has gone round multiple times; I may write a submission for Kai's
FAQs.  Someone wrote me that it was a classic problem in heat transfer to
determine the optimal flow rate through a radiator.  But he never told me
any more than that.  So I don't know what specific problem he was talking
about, and don't know if he was correct, or that it was applicable to a
closed loop with a heat source and a radiator.  For the reasons given
above, I doubt it.

 WRG

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910