Re: Is it cool?

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, GOFASTMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Is it cool?
From: Larryhoy@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:36:55 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ray, I feel the same way you do.  The only thing that makes me wonder
somewhat is I have heard that many factory racing teams (including MG in
their day) replaced the thermostat with a special flow restrictor,,,,,  hmm.

But I will need a little more hard evidence to convience me.

Anyone out there run their car without a thermostat?

Larry Hoy
1969 MGB
=====================
Rick writes
> >  Actually, the answer to your question is Yes and No.  The thermostat
does
>  > help to maintain cooling , not by closing when it gets too hot, but by a
>  > restriction to the water flow through the engine, thus allowing the
transfer
>  > of heat by the radiator.
>  >  If the water passes through the radiator too quickly, it retains too
much
>  > heat and consequently the return coolant is at an elevated temp.
entering  the
>  > block, where it picks up more heat, etc, etc.
>  >   If you absolutely, positively have to run without a thermostat, (for
>  > competition etc), replace the thermostat with a blanking sleeve or a
gutted
>  > thermostat to retain the restriction in the flow path, to allow the
radiator
>  > a chance to do it's job
>  >
>  > Rick