Re: SMOG BASTARDS

To: pbailey@qnet.com
Subject: Re: SMOG BASTARDS
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:48:49 -0800
At 01:21 PM 3/23/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Yes I've seen some cars also BUT what I'm talking about is a mass show
>of displeasure,here in CAL we not only have the smog stuff to put up
>with but we also pay extremely high license fees a new car can run$500
>and up a year in fees. Hell I'm paying$70 on my 79 B we should be the
>ones to tell them how much we will pay not them they are supposed to be
>working for us!I hear of other states where you register a car for $30
>$40 bucks regardless of age or value.When we buy a used car from a DPO
>we then have to pay a use tax to the DMV if a car changes hands enough
>you could pay more in taxes than it cost new!The funny thing is that
>everyone ,at work,on the radio bitches about it but no one wants to fix
>it.They seem to think GVMT will fix it when they are the problem in the
>first place.There is a guy at work who thinks I'm just carping and said
>the old cars should keep being smogged until I told him I had noticed
>that motorcycles didn't have to be smogged and I would write Sacramento
>and suggest that they should be He changed his tune as he is a cycle
>rider and finally agreed maybe it wasn't a bad idea.The problem isn't
>going to go away it will just get worse UNLESS we raise enough hell
>about it These bills are a start and hopefully sanity will return...Pat

Of course, you are right. I cower every 2 years when it's time to spend
$50.00 to register my B and another $35.00 at least for the smog check,
plus the headache of detuning the car and making sure all the crummy smog
equipment is back in place and working properly. A couple of folks I work
with went to the Anti-Smog II rally in Sacramento last year and voiced
their protest. One was even interviewed by the media and got a chance to
speak to the government inside the building! Many of us believe it's
highway robbery of both our money and our freedom. It's hard to organize
the masses to do much out of the everyday routine. We are generally very
complacent people and go along with whatever it set before us. Shame on us!

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw