CA DMV Struggle, Long!

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: CA DMV Struggle, Long!
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:59:40 -0800
Hey Listers:

Following is a fairly long message relating my recent experience with the
California Department of Motor Vehicles.  Please remember that CA is already
a fairly heavily taxed state.  Those folks contemplating the registration of
a project car here in CA will be wise to take heart!

>From a recent trade of a Rover P6B for a non-running TR6 (thanks again, Tom
C.!), I took the TR to the DMV on a trailer for inspection.  The TR  is an
Oregon car and DMV instructed me to bring the car in.  Took time off from
work to do so.  No appointments available for this procedure.

Arrive at DMV, stand in line for 10 minutes, clerk gives me forms to
complete, I move aside to let others in line (2 people behind me) conduct
their business.  Start to fill out forms; they are for boats, not cars.
Thinking I am missing something, I grope for ~something~to fill out, OK, my
name and address go here.  Don't have a hull number, oh well!

Head back to line, now 15 people there where minutes ago were only 2.  Nice
lady lets me back in line.  Give forms to clerk.  Conversation
begins..."These aren't the right forms, where did you get these?"  "You gave
them to me 2 minutes ago."  "Oh, let me see..." Wanders off to back room for
awhile.  "Here, fill these forms out and come back to the head of the line
when you're finished."  I fill out right forms, now try to synchromize my
timing to get a different, friendly looking clerk one cubicle away.

"We will have to inspect your vehicle before title can be issued.  When can
you bring the car in?"  "Maybe I spoke with you this morning about a Triumph
car from Oregon?"  "Well, yes, you did!"  "The car is outside on a trailer."
Car inspected by clerk.  I say my prayer that there will not be any problems!

She makes a few degrading comments..."My sister owned one of these cars and
it was the ~WORST~ she ever had.  Finally got rid of it after she was tired
of all the repair bills...almost put her in banckruptcy!"  We re-enter the
DMV.  I want to write out the check and get outta there NOW!

But she converses with Mr. Stern about how to finish the registration
change.  Mr. Stern goes on about how since the car can't be smogged yet,
title can't be changed, etc., etc.  He tells me "Come back some other time
when (if) you get your car finished."  I plead about my desire to give them
my money now...I want this ordeal over!  "PLEASE, California, TAKE MY MONEY!!"

The female clerk challenges Mr. Stern, who obviously is The Senior Clerk.
The entire DMV waiting room goes silent as they banter for what seemed like
an eternity.  Finally she turns away from him and says under her breath "I'm
gonna give it my best shot!"  My trembling hand starts to write out the
check.  But no, wait a minute, Mr. Stern is back at "our" cubicle and he's
telling Miss Nice she can't do what she's trying to do for me!  A few more
heated seconds and now Miss Nice is back typing at her computer.  "This may
or not work, you will know in 14 days."  But, she does take my money, which
is a comforting thought.

She explains my fees and I finish writing the check.  I ask her what
additional (if any) fees I will have to pay to get the car registered, not
just titled, once the car is smogged.  "Thirty-five dollars a year is what
everyone pays for their cars in CA, PLUS 2% of the cars stated value."
Smiling, she says,  I'm sure that your TR6 will be worth AT LEAST $10,000
when you finish the restoration."  (IS THIS THE SAME DMV CLERK WHO INSPECTED
MY TR6?)  Two percent of that value would be $202.00 per year (which
declines a minimal amount each year!), plus the $35.00 annual registration.

I ask her one last question:  "If I register the car before the restoration
is completed (primer - no paint, no interior, no nice chrome bits, no chrome
wires, etc), but the car is able to pass the smog test (on a trailer!) the
value of my car would be less.  Would my ANNUAL fees be less?  "Why, yes,
they would be...I suppose you ~could~do it that way."

These smog regs affect us in many "hidden" ways!  I rest my case!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components
Paradise, CA