Missouri 1000 ft Endurance Rally

To: MGs List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Missouri 1000 ft Endurance Rally
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:04:05 +0000
My Hot Rod CGT was a DNF at the Missouri Endurance Rally. To be totally
acccurate, it didn't start it either.

Me and the navigator raced from KC to St. Louis Friday Night. We were up
at dawn to start the rally on Saturday. As soon as the C fired up,
however, there was a strange sound. A deep, metallic, low frequency,
clanky sound.

On investigation, the crank pulley would rotate several degrees without
having the crankshaft come with it. The bolt holding the crank pulley
was still in place and tight. The pulley is indexed with a woodruff key
and a slot on the crank snout. Apparantly the woodruff key was getting
tired.

When I replaced the crank seal last year, I was somewhat surprised that
the crank pulley wasn't a press fit. It wasn't on a friend of mines C
either. A firm tug was all that was needed. Still seemed strange.

Cause and Effect?

I have noticed some high-end vibration the last couple of outings. I
adjusted the valves (turns crank by the fan blade) before the run and
didn't notice any looseness in the pulley.

I'm wondering if something internal is now out of balance and that
vibration eventually killed off the crank puller. It'll be a couple of
weeks before the investigation begins.

If anyone has been down this road before, advice appreciated.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT with it's nose out of joint.