Re: Hillman Hunter Help!!!!

To: RFeibusch@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hillman Hunter Help!!!!
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:28:05 GMT
>Forwarded Message from Gary Anderson at BritCarMag:
>
>Linda Dodwell  <dobie@sirius.com> writes:
>
>I am looking for help with information on the Hillman Hunter model.  Can you
>assist????  I have been unable to find any data.  Thanks in advance for any
>help.
>
>Linda Dodwell
>
>Linda - The Hillman Hunter was never sold in the US but
>they might have sold them in Canada. We did get the
>fastback version over here as the Sunbeam Alpine GT in
>the late '60s to replace the real Alpine roadsters after Chrysler took over
>Rootes in the UK. We also got another Hillman model called the Plymouth
>Cricket ( I think that originally were thinking of the game but the logo used
>a cartoon bug! ) over here in the early '70s.
>
>Anyone out there in cyberland got any Hillman Hunter info?

Yeah,
Actually, I own one!

That is, almost.
Provided, you are talking about a post-1965 model. Pre-1965 are mechanically
largely the same but with a different body style.

Mine is a 1972 Sunbeam Sceptre (LHD, of course, for use here in Holland).
These same cars were sold in Britain (RHD, of course)  under the name '
Humber Sceptre'.
I've owned the car since 1978 (when I was still a student) and  I have
driven it (daily) until 1982.
However, I havent driven it (even occasionally) since 1986. (lack of time).
Currently in poor shape, but definitely
not beyond repair.
I liked the car very much. That's why I still own it!

The Sceptre was a more elaborated version of the Hunter (Two Z-S carbs instead
of one, walnut veneer interior, overdrive gearbox, etc).
Made by Chrysler United Kingdom (previously  Rootes) in a factory somewhere
in Scotland
(I've never seen the factory, but my brother has been there).

I've got the official Workshop Manual  (official manual name: " Arrow Range
", the car was, in other versions,
also sold as Singer Vogue,  plus Hillman Gazelle ? Pretty wild badge
engineering stuff....)
official factory parts lists, you name it.

In 1978 I travelled for 2.5 months across the USA but I NEVER saw a  Hillman
Hunter once!
I did see one Sunbeam Alpine (the MGB GT like model mentioned above), that
was in San Francisco.

BTW shortly afterwards, I went to work in Sweden as a trainee for three months.
It was the only Sunbeam in the whole of Sweden... Never saw another one
there either.

Amazingly enough, whenever you see TV pictures of Tehran, Iran, you see the
streets crowded with this very type of car.
They were locally assembled there until the mid-eighties. Named  "Paikan
1700" or something, if I've read the Arab
writing on the car correctly (have seen one of those in Austria once).
If you don't believe me, read Lee Iacocca's book on Chrysler, he mentions it
there somewhere
(written in 1983 or so, I can't currently recall the title).

The Plymouth Cricket was the U.S. version (also sold as Dodge Dart) of the
Hillman/Sunbeam Avenger, quite a different model.
I've seen many of those in the USA and in the UK.
 The (1600 cc)   engines of the Avenger were known to be not particularly well,
oil burning was a common problem.
The name Avenger came from a popular British TV series of the sixties.
Those of you who are familiar with the current British TV series "Keeping Up
Appearances"
have often seen  the derelict yellow Hillman Avenger parked in front of
Ounslow's home.

Hope this has been of some interest to you.

Bert Palte
Holland
<aplte@rt.el.utwente.nl>