Re: Motor Mounts and Exhaust

Subject: Re: Motor Mounts and Exhaust
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:27:04 -0500 (EST)
> fitted the manifold to the car, and found that the clearance between the
> manifold and the steering column is very tight - about 1/16".  I am
> concerned that the twist of the engine on it's mounts under load may
> result in an interference.

If the engine mounts are in good shape, this should be almost enough
clearance.

> Looking at the motor mounts, there are shims between the engine plate
> and the mount - about 3/16" thick on both sides.  If I did not replace
> the shims, it appears that I would gain some clearance.  Any comments?

No!  Move the shim from the distributor side mount to the manifold side
mount.  This tilts the top of the engine away from the manifold
side. Problem solved!

Removing both ships will drop the engine down and the manifold might be
even closer.  My impression that on the B the stock arrangment was one
shim on the manifold side and none on the distributor side.

> ALso - the left side motor mount looks solid, although I believe it is
> original.  Dropping the steering rack to remove disconnect the column
> shaft is NOT very appealing, but I can't figure out how to replace the
> mount otherwise.  Once again, any comments would be appreciated.

Shouldn't be necessary.  Jack the engine up from below and remove the
mount bolts.  Slip in the shim.

--
John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock