Re: Smogging the B

To: "W. J. Richard Criswell" <damitdick@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Smogging the B
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 21:11:15 -0500
> Well Nolan, it looks like we started something doesn't it? At first, I
> was irritated at you and your attitude! And I was prepared to fire off a
> firey reply. Then I read replies by Pat Bailey and others that seemed to
> come to my defense. Thank you Pat et al... Since then I've been just
> following the thread and enjoying the dialog and different perspectives
> that have been expressed.
>
> Now, however, I wish to stress a couple of facts that either were not in
> my original post or that were overlooked.
>
> 1). CA Emission Standards are the SAME for all passenger vehicles under
> 6,000 lb      Mfg. Gross Vehicle Weight. That means that now matter how
> large or small the      displacement or how many cylinders you have all
> cars must meet the SAME      standards!
>
>         For '66-'67 these are Idle HC - 700, Idle CO - 5.5, 2500rpm HC -
> 600,            2500rpm CO - 4.5, min. CO + CO2 - 8.0, Max Idle rpm
> - 1,000.
>
>         For '68-'70 these drop to Idle HC - 650, all others remain as
> before.
>
>         For '71-'74 they again go down to Idle HC - 550, Idle CO - 5.0,
> 2500rpm HC      - 400, 2500rpm CO - 4.0 with the others as before.
>
>         For '75-'80 they are Idle HC - 220, Idle CO - 2.0, 2500rpm HC -
> 180,            2500rpm CO - 1.7, all others as before.
>
> As is to be expected, as the Emission standards tightened, the
> manufacturer's added more and more smog control equipment in order to
> meet the standards.
> For model year '75 and beyond (at least as far as MG was concerned)
> Catalytic Converters were mandated.
>
> Therefore the main difference between a legal '74 with extractor exhaust
> and a CA approved Webbed and a legal '80 is the addition of a Catalytic
> Converter!
>
> NOW AS I SAID IN MY ORIGINAL POST, I was willing to keep a Catalytic
> Converter on my '80 MGB-LE! I simply wanted to install an extractor
> exhaust header, a CA approved Weber, and relocate the Catalytic Converter
> from underneath the Carburetor where it has been responsible for many an
> MG engine compartment fire to underneath where most american cars have
> it.
>
> I WAS NOT, nor do I think I implied that I was seeking relief from the
> '75-'80 standards for my MGB! I was merely trying to point out that by
> substituting components which were considered legal in '74 and relocating
> the Catalytic Converter, I would not even get to a point where a sniffer
> test would be performed!
>
> Now then Nolan, this bring me to your second point regarding the smogging
> of my MGB-GT V8. You would  "drop the stock four in there, let it pass,
> and then swap it back. " While that may be a viable solution for swapping
> out a highly modified 4 banger, it's not as straight forward when we are
> talking pulling the V8 and reinstalling the 4. This would be a major,
> time consuming, operation. Not an afternoon undertaking as it is when
> [...]

Well I didn't get the take on your original post that I do on this one.  It did
seem to me that you
were griping that you couldn't swap in 1974 stuff on a 1980 car.  Not a case of
making a
"reasonable" alternative.  Truthfully, with a lot of money, you can make the
presentation, but it's
not exactly a viable alternative for a private vehicle owner.  Costs about
20-40 thousand dollars.

You've got another alternative you know.  Go buy a junk mg of older vintage,
and swap the vin tags.
No one other then you will know.  You've also still got historic/street rod
games you can play, if
you're willing to not have it as a daily driver.  That's the route I'm going
with my 1980 Spitfire.
And, if I ever decide for some reason I've just got to have it as a daily
driver car, I'll do a
little rivet drilling and be done with it.  Hmm, maybe I'll call it a vw
conversion.  I've got a
couple old bug titles laying around for a rainy day.

As far as emission standards go, that's about normal nation wide.  No
differences for pistons or
cc's, just age.  Don't remember my states numbers, but it doesn't really matter
anyhow.

Thing that I'm driving at the most is fight like hell, but out fox the folk at
their own game.  Be
creative, but don't just put a car on blocks.  Changing the official year,
swapping engines, out of
state tags, whatever!  But you can beat them at their own game.  Some ways are
safer and easier
then others, but it absolutely can be done.  You don't have to give up driving
your car.