Re: Smogging the B

To: pbailey@qnet.com
Subject: Re: Smogging the B
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:16:17 -0500
> I just have to respond to this one!!He is saying it won't pass VISUALLY
> not that it wouldn't pass at all!!This is what we are griping about it
> doesn't matter WHAT comes out the pipe.So you would go to all the
> trouble to swap engines ,take a day off work ,jump through hoops ,pay
> out money and time THEN swap the engine back thus breaking the law that
> you seem to agree is OK.What a hypocrite,if the smog laws are OK and we
> are just a bunch of cry babies then you should obey the letter of the
> law and if your car can't be made to pass you should send it to the
> crusher.If on the other hand you think these laws are draconian in
> nature and we should be pissed at having to play these games then you
> should join the fight and not put us down for being intelligent enough
> to see through these regulations.As for comparing headlights to the smog
> equiptment COME ON one is for safety!We crybabies will continue to
> complain through the proper channels and hopefully we will win and guess
> what? YOU will benifit from this as well although I don't think you will
> deserve it.

You have a different take on his message/complaint then I.  I am willing to
fight,
and have fought, various dragons.  I'm also a bit of a pragmatist.  I'm not
going
to put my car on blocks because it's modified into a configuration I damn well
know
is illegal.  And if I do (which I currently am), I know how to play the game
and
get it on the road.  Antique, historic, street rod to name the three I can
currently think of.  Won't be a daily driver then, but it WILL be on the road!

Do I think the tail pipe emissions are important?  You bet!  That's why I've
been
bitching up a storm about using drive by emission testing instead of drive in
emission testing.  That said, I'm real aware that right now, today, I have to
do
the drive in type.  And, as such, that I'd better play that game, right now,
today,
if I want my car on the road.

You tell me which is better, a car on blocks for years, or a car on the road?