FW: re: Midget 5 Speed ???

To: mgs
Subject: FW: re: Midget 5 Speed ???
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:47:28 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Steve Obert
<sobert@SNET.com>]]

     Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:26:11 -0500
     From: Steve Obert <sobert@SNET.com>
     Subject: re: Midget 5 Speed ???

Sources for Nissan 5 speed conversions for Sprite/Midget

 Rivergate Restoration Products     Basic kit  -   $399
 P.O. Box 862                       Additional -    $79
 Soddy-Daisy, TN 37379

 Bill Perry
 423-332-2030

----

 Mini Motors                        Complete kit - $895
 2275 Cherry Ave, N.E.              Requires modifing transmission
 Salem OR 97303

 Rex Urban
 503-362-3187

----

 Speedwell Engineering              Complete - $895
 1171 First St.
 San Fernando, CA 91340

 Tom Colby
 818-898-9151

----
The Nissan 5 speed used is from the 210 model it is an overdrive.  The
ratios are:
1 - 3.513
2 - 2.170
3 - 1.378 or 1.320
4 - 1.00
5 - 0.821
r - 3.764
----
When you get a transmission also get the front half of the driveshaft.
Check the driveshaft yoke for wear if it is worn then the bushing on the
tailhousing is also worn.  Also get the shift lever and make sure the
throwout bearing sleeve and fork are there.  It is not a bad idea to grab
the speedo cable also.

I have heard of using the Nissan driveshaft cut down as the rear flange
bolts to the Sprite diff flange.  But the 210 driveshaft was designed as a
throwaway and the Sprite u-joints are considerably larger.  Rivergate takes
the 2 yokes and combines them into a yoke with the Nissan front and the
Sprite rear.  The Sprite driveshaft length is just right for the
conversion.  I belive the slave cylinder needed will be from Nissan
hardbody truck 86 1/2 or newer, it is 11/16. If a different size is needed
just keep looking, all Datsuns/Nissans had hydralic clutches and the sizes
and layouts varied. Another good idea is to get the spring installed inside
some of the slave cylinders.  This spring will make any slave cylinder
self-adjusting.  I think most of the later cars had this spring the
self-adjusting ones can be identified by the lack of adjustment on the
pushrod.

Some have complained that the rear mount from Rivergate is a little too stiff.

This is all from information I have collected.  I have not done the
conversion yet as I am looking at an engine swap which is a whole nother
story.

-----

Maybe this info should be setup as a FAQ as questions on the conversion pop
up quite regularly on this and other lists?