Re: Canoes and MGs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Canoes and MGs
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:09:58 -0400
Thanks to all for the input on transporting a canoe, with
an MG.  It seems that the best route may be a trailer,
and I've found a company that makes a sports trailer
with attachments for carring canoes, bikes, sailboards
etc. (www.packrat.com)  This also has the advantage that
it's not MG specific, although its probably the most
expensive ($700 + accesories)  It also provides
aditional storage over the MG.  I was unsure of the
feasability of towing even a light trailer with a MGB
but it seems this has been done so it shouldn't be
a problem.

The hard top idea while it may be sensible defeats
the whole purpose.  I can put the canoe on the top
of my subaru, and go anywhere but then I can't drop
the canoe of at the camp site and go top down motoring
(I want it all)  I'd also worry about the stress on
the fibreglass of the hardtop.

Dave Housers idea of brackets may be feasable depending
on strength, cost etc. although the wind forces do concern
me.  I'll be thinking more on this.  It also may end
to be quite expensive to have this custom made.
(Dave I might do up some drawings, so I may be talking to
you.)

The reason this whole topic came up is that I made a
cedarstrip epoxy canoe last summer and I thought it
would be great to take both the MG and the canoe
this summer when I went camping.

--
Gary Burrell
Design Engineer