Re: A -Arm Bushings

To: Ricko595@aol.com
Subject: Re: A -Arm Bushings
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 20:47:39 -0700
Ricko595@aol.com wrote:
> It seems that the
> A arm bushings are about gone. Has anyone replaced them lately?

I'm not sure if these need to be pressed in, but if they do I would
suggest taking them to a machine shop to be pressed in, as it's too
much work to do yourself (I've tried). My local machine shop charges
$5.00 per bushing and will do it while I wait, so is a good deal to me.

> I am
> considering:(a) poly urethane (b) steel/rubber (MGB/GT OEM replacements from
> VB) or (C) Nylatron. Anyone have a preference for any of the above?

I vote polyurathane or polygraphite.

>Can I
> replace the bushings on one side of the coil spring without removing the
> spring if I support the spring pan with a floor jack or wooden block?

No, this sounds too dangerous, and more work than it's worth.

>Would
> this be a good time to lower my suspension?

Yes, but plan on needing a front end alignment for sure.

>What parts are likely to be
> seized and require a torch or brute force to remove?

In my experience, everything will come off easily, except for one bolt
or nut which will take as long to remove as everything else combined.;o)
Plus all parts will be in stock except one, which they will say is in
stock but will say is back ordered when you get your parts.;o)

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"
P.S. I recently replaced all the front end bushings on a '64 Galaxie
 while the engine was out to be rebuilt. Man, that was conveniant, I left
 everything loose and tightened up when the engine was reinstalled. It
was so nice to work from the top down rather than the bottom up.