FW: Re: A -Arm Bushings

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: A -Arm Bushings
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:01:58 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Bruce Stevenson
<bstevens@netshop.net>]]

     Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:22:48 -0700
     From: Bruce Stevenson <bstevens@netshop.net>
     Subject: Re: A -Arm Bushings

At 14:29 04/12/97 -0400, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
>Ricko595@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I discovered the source of annoying squeak in my front end. It seems that the
>> A arm bushings are about gone. Has anyone replaced them lately? I am
>> considering:(a) poly urethane (b) steel/rubber (MGB/GT OEM replacements from
>> VB) or (C) Nylatron. Anyone have a preference for any of the above? Can I
>> replace the bushings on one side of the coil spring without removing the
>> spring if I support the spring pan with a floor jack or wooden block? Would
>> this be a good time to lower my suspension? What parts are likely to be
>> seized and require a torch or brute force to remove? Please share your common
>> experiences with me to aid in what looks like a major overhaul.

I did this job on my son's 73 MGB. I suggest using the bushes from
Moss that are meant for the GT V8. They are one piece and steel
lined. Spray them liberally with silicone and they slide right in. Be
ready to put them in a vise with a socket to press them home.

As his car was quite rusty, we ended up breaking off the stabilizer bar
ends and my impactwrench twisted the heads off several bolts on the spring
pan. It took us about 4 hours total to
replace both sides.