MGA fixing, fun weekends

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA fixing, fun weekends
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:40:03 -0500
Finally, it has been warm and dry enough to drive!  Friday evening was near
40, Saturday got to 48 and Sunday got to 50!  I had the MGA out all three
days.  I had a great time althouth I still have yet to put the top down (no
side curtains though).  I know I'm a wimp but I kind of like the way it
looks (a warped wimp?  Maybe I should have a Coupe!)

When we last visited the 61 MGA it was still leaving puddle of coolant
wherever it went.  I finally gave up on those stupid wire clamps and
replaced them with worm type hose clamps.  I fired it up Friday night for a
quick spin with my daughter.  I let the radiator build up some pressure
before taking off and sure enough, there was coolant dripping under the
car.  Shut it down and take more mundane transportation to the store.  I
got home later and started to investigate.  It turns out that the coolant
was from the overflow tube and that all the hoses were holding.  I took it
out for a spin and it has been dry since.

Next on the list was to fix the cold starting and rich running condition.
I pulled the dizzy cap and looked at the points.  They were fairly pitted
with one side looking like Mount Rushmore and the other imitating the Grand
Canyon.  Half an our with a file and I fixed most of it.  If I remember
correctly, this condition means that the condenser is weak but I will give
it some time before changing anything.

On to the Carburators.  I could adjust the front carburator but the rear
was set at full lean and still seemed rich.  As a last resort, I pushed up
on the jet assembly and it broke loose and seated against the adjustment
nut.  The jet was hanging up whenever the enrichment knob was pulled.  I
then adjusted the carbs and was able to get it to run OK.  After trying
several times to make the jet move freely, I took the back carb apart.  I
cleaned everything up and centered the jet using the SU tools my SO bought
me for X-mas.  I only dropped the jet assembly once so that is not too bad.
 Anyway, I got it back together and set the mixtures.  I tried to balance
the carbs but the front carb wouldn't idle back down.  It seems that
whoever had worked on the carbs last hadn't tightened the torsion spring
sufficiently on the front carb.  I adjusted the spring to provide
sufficient tension and balanced the carbs.  The idle isn't perfect but it
is tons better.  I may play with the timing next but we'll see how it goes.
 The valves haven't been adjusted yet either.  Jeeze, it's amazing that I
ever get time to drive the thing!

Why all of this work?  Because next weekend is the FIRST AUTOCROSS OF THE
SEASON!!  Just because you can't drive is no excuse to have a poorly tuned
car.  Saturday is an autocross school where experienced drivers give
novices pointers then on Sunday you get to show the world what you know.  I
will be there and there is a rumor that two other listers may attend.  I am
not the type to drop names but let's just say that there may be a red MGA
in the winners circle and I can almost guarantee that it won't be mine.

Speaking of fast times, I have been pushing my car a little harder every
time I'm out to get a feel for it.  Right now it seems like corner speed is
limited by its tendancy to lift the inside rear wheel (kind of like a dog
at a hydrant).  The picture on the back of the last MGA! showed a car in
that position.  I am guessing that adding a front antiroll bar would
transfer some of the roll stiffness to the front and reduce this problem.
Either that or the problem is my ham-fisted driving technique learned from
spending most of the last few years driving fwd cars.

So, if anyone else is in the neighborhood, drop on by next weekend.  It
will be a lot of fun.  The MAC calls there races MOWOG's by the way.  How
can anyone pass up the opportunity to participate in MOWOG 1 97?

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA ready for battle!