FW: Maintenance questions - answers

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Maintenance questions - answers
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:12:57 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/WINMAIL.DAT/i" at
line 64]

     Date: Tue Apr 08 17:48 EDT 1997
     From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
     Subject: Maintenance questions - answers

>Transmission fluid - local MG shop says to use 30 weight non detergent oil,
>several manuals state 20W50, yet another says Gear Oil 90.  Any suggestions
>as to what is best to use?

I have been using Castrol Gearbox oil (90EP), in all my gearboxes,
including the Midget. In 10 years
of ownership (and approx 80K miles), never had a problem.

>Spark Plug wires - current wires are at least 15 years old - any thoughts on
>replacing with std or the high performance wires?

I have been very happy with the Bosch spark plugs wires. Vicky Brit
used (maybe still does) sell them.  I have had them on the Midget more
than 7 years. They have held up well and haven't leaked any electrons yet.

>Oil change - changed oil & filter - very dirty, Porter's manual says to flush
>out engine with one of those 5 minute runs and then change oil again in 1000
>miles.

Unless your engine shows visible signs of sludge, I would just change
the oil and filter.  Then change again at 1000 mile snad 3000 miles
thereafer. Remove the rocker cover and heck to see if you have
sludge. If you do, you MAY want to think about using one of those
engine flush treatments, although personally I do not like them.

>Air filter - I picked up the original housing at a shop - do the round plates
>bolt to the carb or must you try to install everything together using the 4
>bolts?

Not quite sure which carbs you have. But on the SU's I think the base
plate is attached to the carb, then the covers are attached to the base plate.

> Shocks - I was going to top off if needed - local shop says if it isn't
> leaking don't fool with it.  Twist says top them off with 50 weight hydraulic
> oil with seal sweller & anti foaming.  (Need brand name to find this one)
> Any experience with this?

try topping off the shock with the recommended oil and see how the car
feels. I have not had good luck with lever arm shocks (even after
being rebuilt). All my MG's now have tube shock conversions

gerry