Re: Engagement of O/D

To: John McEwen <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: Engagement of O/D
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:11:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hi John McEwen!!

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, John McEwen wrote:

> When I shift into O/D I back off slightly on the throttle.  The owner's
> manual specifically forbids using the clutch.  You have to practice to get

I've heard this before, and often wondered about it.  Any Guru's
in residence???  I regularly hit the clutch just after shifting into
o/d; what expensive little jewel like part(s) am I in the process of
destroying??

> the motions right but the result is a fairly smooth upshift.  When

Somewhat akin to driving a 3 ton truck with a split axle...

> downshifting, simply increase throttle as you hit the switch.  That's about
> all you can do.  Some days it works better than others.

Not me, I don't get those good days.  A clutchless downshift always
tries to bury my head into the steering wheel.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen