Re: Tuning Woes

To: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Tuning Woes
From: David Councill <dcouncil@inetco.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:35:46 -0600

>If there's anything I've missed, I'm stumped what it is.
>
>Glenn

The tuning woes. So similar to my experiences last week. I tuned my 71 in
my heated garage while I waited for the weeklong snow storm to subside. Two
feet of snow later, the car was ready to go.

It started like a charm, then it sputtered. I had to suspect the points and
condenser. After I rechecked the gap on the points (it had widened) and
redid the connection on the post that holds the wire to the condenser, it
started like a charm.

The moral of the story - stick to the basics. Don't look at the exhaust.
Check your firing order to insure your spark plugs are hooked up right
(1,3,4,2), check the insulater on the points post, and check the plugs.
Redo it if necessary.

I don't know why, but 90% of the time, I find that post to be the problem.
The 5/16' nut should be on top of the plastic insulator, which is on top of
the two wires on the post. The insulator insures that the post does not
connect to the loop part of the points whereas the wires do. The connection
must be tight. I hope that is clear - but I can't draw and I don't know the
exact terms of the components.

After you check the electricals, check the carbs.

David