Request advice for first -time restorer

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Request advice for first -time restorer
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@bgsm.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:39:18 -0400 (EDT)
I am "restoring" my 74 Midget.  My aim is modest - a good looking driver which
will last.  I do not care about perfect originality and will make "upgrades"
were beneficial but I do not want to change the character of the car.  This is
not really a restoration but more a renovation.

I have started on the body work (because I had to replace a leaking fuel tank -
and want to finish all welding before fitting new tank).  There was quite a lot
of rust in the back end of the trunk (boot) floor itself and the small side
sections and the rear valence.  Mainly cosmetic rust other areas.  I have
elected to treat all these areas by  cutting out rust to clean metal,
fabricating a patch and MIG welding it in. Then using  a little body filler to
cover the welds.  I am also learning as I go and have removed and completeley
revised some of my first efforts.

Here's where I need some advice.  I am very slow and anticipate several weeks to
months of this body work.  I have temporarily painted over my patched areas
(bare metal) with  Corroless (using a brush) to prevent rust while I do all the
other areas.  Next I will apply the filler as needed and spray each area. Then I
will do the mechanicals, drive the car for a year or two for fun and decide how
far I want to go in terms of restoration / full respray / engine rebuild etc.

Do I need to remove the Corroless / all other paint to bare metal before
applying body filler (it will be just a little filler)?  I want it to last 3 to
4 years until I strip it all for a full respray.

Is there a good product to paint onto my weld seams to seal them?  I found it
very difficult to get a perfect air - tight weld along the rear edge of trunk
floor to rear valence area due to difficult access.

Is my approach reasonable?  I know I am not doing a full restoration, but this
is my first project and I don't want to do a frame up just now - maybe later
when I have more confidence.  Right now I am having fun and learning about my
car.

Any advice on above or more general advice regarding the approach to restoring a
car will be much appreciated.  I will also gladly share my experiences in
learning to weld etc with any interested.  Sorry for the long post.

Tom Wannenburg
74 MG Midget