Re: Request advice for first -time restorer

To: Thomas Wannenburg <twannen@bgsm.edu>
Subject: Re: Request advice for first -time restorer
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:20:21 -0700
Thomas Wannenburg wrote:
> I am "restoring" my 74 Midget.
> Do I need to remove the Corroless / all other paint to bare metal before
> applying body filler (it will be just a little filler)?

Usually you should, as filler is desigined for bare metal. Read the
directions, or ask the counterman where you buy your filler.
Buy filler from body/paint supply shops, it's fresher, better quality,
and you can ask for advice from people who know.
I recommend 3M brand filler. It's very 'workable', and sands extra
smooth so there is less final finishing with the red 'glazing' putty or
thick primer. Actually all 3M products for body work are my favorites.
I would plan on wiping on some filler after grinding the welds, it's
less work than removing primer later-I've been there, done that.
Corroless is a good product, but I find it needs to be thined to get
into the cracks better. It is tough to remove as it really clogs
grinding wheels or sandpaper- solvent seems to be the best way.

> Is there a good product to paint onto my weld seams to seal them?

I assume you buy your corroless from Eastwood, they sell seam sealer too.
Most body/paint supply stores will have just what you need too.
I like the Eastwood catalog, I take it to my local paint supply store,
point to the stuff I want, and they can usually find a equal product at
a better price.
I would also recommend you use a weld through primer/paint on patches
that are in hard to paint/seal spots. This is a spray coating that will
 help protect the piece if you can't get to the other side of it. You
paint it before you weld it, while it's convieniant. Some welding stores
will sell this too. It's supposed to make a cleaner weld too, but is
mainly a protective coating that can take the welding process.
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"