RE: Request advice for first -time restorer

To: "'Thomas Wannenburg'" <twannen@bgsm.edu>
Subject: RE: Request advice for first -time restorer
From: Max Steven Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:46:16 -0400
Hi, Tom...
I just finished a three-year restoration of my '73 Midget last October.  =
It was my first ground-up restoration and I was able to do 99.999% of =
the work myself - from body  work and paint to upholstery and trim.  The =
0.001% I did not do was install a new windshield glass into the =
four-piece frame, although I tried until I gave up.  I just could not =
compress the frame pieces against the new windshield seal enough to get =
the screws in, so I turned that over to a glass shop.
When I started, I had a good daily driver and just wanted it to look =
better.  One thing led to another ("as long as I'm in here, I might as =
well replace this...").
Anyway, the first piece of advice I could give is to be patient while =
doing the bodywork.  A lot of care in this phase goes a long way toward =
ensuring a good final product, especially working the filler.  What =
looks smooth before paint can become surprisingly wavy after paint.  It =
just takes care and practice.
I used an acrylic latex caulk in the groove between the trunk floor and =
the rear valence, not so much to make an air-tight seal but to keep =
water out of that joint if the trunk seal (now new) ever leaks.  It was =
easy to work with and took paint well.  On other panel joints, I used a =
seam sealer from my local auto parts store.=20
Good luck with your project.