Re: Rebuilding Hydraulics

To: pujalte@stic.net
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Hydraulics
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:36:17 -0400 (EDT)

<< This is just an idea...
   A lister gives another lister "advice" on a brake repair.
   The receiving lister makes a mistake that causes injury to himself or
   others.
   Can the "helpful" lister be sued?
   I think so.
   Again, just an idea in our litigious society.

Vince,
 It brings back a point made in my Business Law class back in college. The
attorney who taught the course once made the obsevation "You can sue anybody
for anything. Winning is another matter all together"

I can understand your concern. It's a valid point.

But, if we let all that stupidity that passes for legal justification of an
assinine litigation, stop us from offering the best help to a fellow LBCer,
whether on the list, or over the phone, or in person, then we might as well
shut down the list and stay home, cause you dare not talk to anybody about
your car at all.

I've not seen anything on the list that, taken at face value, would be
harmful. A few things I have felt compelled to offer additional advice about
a safety point that may not have been covered in the earlier submission. And
so have many others.

 At other points there has been disagreement as to a procedure, choice of
components, suppliers, etc.  Again, though nothing that a reasonable, prudent
DYI mechanic could get himself hurt. UNLESS HE FAILS TO HEED NORMAL SAFETY
PRECAUTIONS, whether by accident, or deliberatly.

 As for the basic question, It would probably take a lawyer to give a good
answer.
Maybe someone else on the list somewhere.

 I know that your query was not on the list, but, because it affects us all,
I'm replying via the list. I may have opened Pandora's box, I don't know.

Rick