Re: Diodes

To: Ralph Watson <rwatson@netpass.com>
Subject: Re: Diodes
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 18:28:03 -0500
Ralph Watson wrote:

> Indeed there are 2 diodes in the harness. physical location is  behind the
>center of the
> dash in the area totally obscured by the fresh air vent hoses. I got them
>from TRF part
> #LU83225 (listed as a TR6 part)  $11.90 each in Oct  1995.  They are larger
>than
> printed circuit diodes, I would estimate the two together would fit snugly in
>a 35 mm
> film cannister. Location on the wiring diagram (bentley Complete Offical MGB
> 1975-1980 page 240) is ref #256 upper left quadrant of page connected to WR-GO
> wires and ref #284 bottom center of page connected to WR-GK wires. Note that
>the
> terminals are appropriately "sexed" to prevent reverse polarity fitment.
>
> Ralph Watson

Indeed, there are (were) two diodes on my '79B.  One tests the brake
warning light when the _starter_ is engaged.  If this diode fails, the
starter will engage when the parking brake lever is lifted.  The other,
according to the wiring diagram, goes to the service interval counter.
Color codes verify this.  But, I can't find a service interval counter
anywhere on the car.  Maybe removed previously?  Anyway, both diodes
have been disconnected, everything works well, except that the brake
warning light doesn't illuminate when you start the car.  Light still
works when the brake handle is pulled.  IMHO, I would do without the
diodes rather than spend $11.90 on these rather useless features.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX