"The New Guy is an Idiot" or "Querries of a Newborn" (long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "The New Guy is an Idiot" or "Querries of a Newborn" (long)
From: Jamey Harris <jameyh@charles.stanford.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 19:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,

First I want to appologize for my idiocy/insulting lack of repect for
British automobiles/smart-ass attitude/fill in the blank.

Since I was 12 it's been a dream of mine to own an MG.  A month ago, when
my pick-up died, I made that dream a reality by purchasing a '79 B.  I
had always promised myself that when I bought an MG I would do most, if
not all of the never-ending work on it myself.  This was rather an
ambitious promise because my only previous auto-mechanical experience was
changing the oil and replacing a valve-cover gasket.  The task is made
even more challenging by the fact that the MG is my only mode of
transportation (besides pedestrian), and in the California tradition, I
drive a lot (1700 miles in 28 days).  Also, the B is not my primary
extracurricular activity.  I am a professional track athlete (spelled
W-A-I-T-E-R).  This means my weekends are usually spent travelling to
track meets, not wrenching on my car.  It also means I can't afford to
pay anyone to do the work.

OK, enough babbling.  What I need is a LOT of advice, and my weeks of
lurking tell me this is a good place to ask.  Armed with the Haynes and
factory manuals and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Car Care" I have
successfully replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well as
the clutch master cylinder (didn't solve my clutch problem, but I've
ordered a slave cylinder kit and hose hoping that will).  So far it has
been an absolute blast!

The point of this post?  Here are my questions (I will have more tomorrow).

1.  I've been ordering parts from Northwest Imports in Portland, OR.  Is
this a good source (quality/price)?  Who's better?

2.  There are many parts NWI doesn't carry.  Is there anyplace that will
almost always have what I need?

3.  The car is wired "negative earth".  Does this effect the wiring of
accessories (stereo, alarm, ect.)?

4.  I would like this car to be dependable and fuel efficient.  When it
comes time to pull the engine (no time soon I hope) I will probably try to
rebuild it while it's out.  My other option would be to replace it with a
Japanese engine.  If I did the Japanese replacement I fantasize that I
could then rebuild the origional engine and put it back in at a later
date.  This would require finding a Japanese engine or
engine/transmission that would be nearly interchangable with the MG
equipment (I think).
   a.  Does such an engine/tranny exist?  If so, what is it?
   b.  Are there other Japanese engine/transmission conversion options that
would bring greater improvements in dependability, fuel efficiency, or
performance (Mazda-rotary?)?
   c.  Why is it a crime to put a Japanese engine in an MG?
   d.  Can I expect a substantial increase in dependability, fuel
efficiency, or performance if I go Japanese?
   e.  Are there modifications I can make to the MG engine that will
improve it's dependability, fuel efficiency, or performance?
   f.  Why is it a crime to make these modifications?
   g.  What questions did I forget to ask?

Again, I apologize if my questions offend anyone.  If you take offense,
please tell me why.  Give me your point of view.  I'm new to this, but I'm
willing to learn and consider anyone's ideas.

Big ol' whoppin' huge thanks to any and all who offer answers or raise
more questions.

Jamey Harris
San Carlos, CA (Bay Area)
'79 B