Re: "The New Guy is an Idiot" or "Querries of a Newborn" (long)

To: Jamey Harris <jameyh@charles.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: "The New Guy is an Idiot" or "Querries of a Newborn" (long)
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voy.net>
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 11:24:03 -0400
Hi Jamey,

> 1.  I've been ordering parts from Northwest Imports in Portland, OR.  Is
> this a good source (quality/price)?  Who's better?
> 2.  There are many parts NWI doesn't carry.  Is there anyplace that will
> almost always have what I need?

Moss is excellent but a little pricey. But the qual;ity is high and so
is the service. Victoria British is good too. They usually have
everything.

> 3.  The car is wired "negative earth".  Does this effect the wiring of
> accessories (stereo, alarm, ect.)?

This is what the rest of the world does too.

> 4.  I would like this car to be dependable and fuel efficient.  When it
> comes time to pull the engine (no time soon I hope) I will probably try to
> rebuild it while it's out.  My other option would be to replace it with a
> Japanese engine.  If I did the Japanese replacement I fantasize that I
> could then rebuild the origional engine and put it back in at a later
> date.  This would require finding a Japanese engine or
> engine/transmission that would be nearly interchangable with the MG
> equipment (I think).

NO
>    a.  Does such an engine/tranny exist?  If so, what is it?

NO

>    b.  Are there other Japanese engine/transmission conversion options that
> would bring greater improvements in dependability, fuel efficiency, or
> performance (Mazda-rotary?)?

YES

>    c.  Why is it a crime to put a Japanese engine in an MG?

It just is. You haven't owned your British car long enough to understand
yet.

>    d.  Can I expect a substantial increase in dependability, fuel
> efficiency, or performance if I go Japanese?

Yes

>    e.  Are there modifications I can make to the MG engine that will
> improve it's dependability, fuel efficiency, or performance?

Yes

>    f.  Why is it a crime to make these modifications?

Only the purists say it's a crime.

Tom Shirley
Sale Creek, TN
71 MG Midget