Re: Duct tape, wire, chewing gum, tools, rope, schnapps.......(MGA)

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Duct tape, wire, chewing gum, tools, rope, schnapps.......(MGA)
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 09:14:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Scott Helms!!

On Sat, 3 May 1997 Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> been thinking about items that I need to keep on board in case of a
> mechanical problem.  Does anyone have a list of items that they would
> recommend that I keep on board in such a case??

Hmmm, going on past experience, you want simple to repair things that
aren't readily available, so that if you have a breakdown in some out of
the way spot, the local mechanic has the parts to get you rolling again:

Fan belt, top and bottom rad hoses, POINT SET (including the condenser)
with the gap written on the box, plug set with the gap written on the
boxes, clear fuel filter (I buy the Fram units and mount one just before
the carb connection), and multiple fuses in our amperage ranges.

If you're running with sealed beams, you don't need spares, but if
you're using the replacable bulb type of headlights, carry a couple
of spares for YOUR particular brand of light.

Get yourself one of those middling cheap tool sets in a plastic case
that has almost everything, throw away the ratchet and replace it with a
quality one, bung the whole lot into the boot, and go touring... get
yourself a radar detector and go high speed touring!!

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen