Re: Midget Tires

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Subject: Re: Midget Tires
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 13:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Thomas Pokrefke!!!

On Mon, 5 May 1997 thomas_pokrefke@juno.com wrote:

> Hmm.  I have 175/70R14 Sears Guardsman Response XL on my 70 B and they
> seem to do just fine.   What do you mean by 'crappy'?

Well, it all depends on how you drive.  Every tyre develops a slip angle
relative to control input, some more than others.  Slip angle(s) have a
MAJOR impact on the "feel" of the tyre while you're cornering.

"Crappy" tyres feel "mushy" compared to a performance tyre, and you
can't get a good response to brake/throttle input in a corner at speed.

Personally, I like a tyre that lets me "play" the throttle in a corner,
and gives little warning that I'm pushing things too far.  Now, the
GoodYears on my inlaw's van mushed, and lost steering authority as you
pushed them harder, and harder.  The last set of Perelli's(sp?) on the
"B" were a delight to drive on a winding road.  The Michelins we have on
now are far less responsive.

You really have to try a set of performance tyres to appreciate the
difference they'll make.  Beware of the "XYZ" made these tyres, so they
must be good.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Each major tyre
man. produces tyres to spec for all the major retailers, and the
retailer calls the shots of the tyre design.  Mileage is usually THE
most important parameter for the big retailers.
Remember, our "B" is a daily driver (25 k each way to work), and I KNOW
what I should get on the entrance ramps to the highway.  With crappy
tyres, you can "saw" the wheel around in the turn, and it doesn't really
make a lot of difference.  Don't try that with the Pierelli's though.

Fun game:  hwy speed 100 klicks, so you exit at that speed.  The pickup
who's been tailgating you follows dutifully along.  Finish the runout,
and start the turn, still at 100 klicks, and watch the rear view mirror.
Yah Hoo...  it works every time.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen