Re: MGTD Battery

To: lee.fleisher@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: MGTD Battery
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 20:22:39 -0400
lee.fleisher@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu wrote:

>      Looking for a recommendation for a battery. Getting close to initial
>      attempts to start after an extended rebuild/restoration project.
>
>      Would also appreciate any advice related to initial attempts to start
>      engine.
Hi Lee,
     When I finally had my '52TD together and ready to start (I hoped),
I had the same dilemma. What battery to buy? Knowing that the engine was
going to be tight, I opted for the largest Diehard that would fit into
the battery box. No problem turning it over. Later, I'm kicking myself
for buying a battery that's a little bit too large to allow me to use
one of the commercially available fiberglass battery boxes. It also gets
in the way of the tachometer cable and oil pressure gauge line.

I strongly suggest that you make sure that the oil is pumping before you
fire up the engine. An easy way to determine when you're there is to
disconnect the oil feed line to the gauge and crank until oil starts to
come out.

Good Luck,

Bud Krueger