FW: Introduction

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Introduction
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 02:18:37 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Steve@AZTech.Net]]

     Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 22:51:54 -0700
     From: Steve@AZTech.Net
     Subject: Introduction

I recently signed on to this mailing list, and thought I should introduce
myself and my car.

Me: I was born in '69 and am a software engineer by trade.  Like many others in
my field, if it's a hardware problem, I don't know how to cope with it other
than to hand it off to the hardware guys.

My car:  Many would classify her as a "beater", but my '74 MGB has been a daily
driver for almost all of her life.  She was manufacutred in the latter half of
'73.  My uncle purchased her new in '74 in Chicago.  About '76 or so, she made
the trek out west to AZ.  I don't know exactly when, but at some point my uncle
sold the car to my dad.  Mom & Pop eventually split up, and mom got the B as
part of the deal '88 or thereabouts.  A couple of years later, I bought it off
of her.  (Call her an heirloom?)

The odo reads a constant 111, since the point where it and the speedo gave up
the ghost.  The fuel gague died too, and I keep meaning to getting around to
fixing it, but it's just easier to fill her up every thursday than to muck with
it...

The daily comute is a little over 12 miles in each direction, and except for
our hottest days 110-120F, she's a happy camper.  Heck, I'm not a happy camper
on our hottest days, given the lack of AC.

Oh, yeah: The paint job is original, except for the bits of grey bondo that
got tacked on after a CRX decided to pull in front of me and stop when I was
trying to pull into traffic.  (Harvest Gold looks really bad after 20+ years
of abuse by the sun...)

Mods:  Single 12V battery, Weber Downdraft carb, it looks like I have a '69
or thereabouts bloc, given the troubles I had with my last water-pump
installation.  Most of the rest is just cosmetic.

Hint: Getting thourh emissions (high HCs) involved upping the idle revs to about
1800 RPM and disconnecting the tube to the vacuum pump.

Last words: Keep 'em on the road!

--
Steve