Re: Oil Pump prime...

To: "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: Oil Pump prime...
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 May 97 11:11:10 -0400
>>Ross:
>>
>>To help prime the oil pump on your TC, Pack it with vaseline. This works
>>very well. Vaseline is a pure petroleum product, and will blend in with
>>your motor oil when it warms up. If it is at all possible, pre-pressure oil
>>the engine, before you turn it over. I make a rube goldberg unit out of an
>>old pressure tank. I pour in a couple quarts of oil. Then I put in three
>>quarts in the engine. Put air pressure in the tank. I use 90 psi. Hook a
>>line onto the oil line at rear of the head.Open the valve on the bottle and
>>wait for the engine to pre oil. With the valve cover off, you will see oil
>>comming out the top of the rockers. When the bottle runs out of oil and
>>spits air,
>Again I say PRELUBE.. This technique works great, for the rockers etc.
>but due the fact that a fluid(oil) will follow the path of least
>resistance (open galleys to the rockers) the bearings will get some lube
>but not enough. That
OOps - got distracted and forgot to finish.

That is solved by the prelube. Lubriplate will disolve in a few seconds
after the "real" oil gets to it. My recomendation - Do Not put bearings
together dry. Get something that will lube them for the few seconds that
it takes for the oil pump to put up pressure.  Even the turning of the
crank to adjust the valves causes wear on the bearings. Might be small,
but still there.  The tolerances in an auto engine are considerably
greater than one that has a 30 - 40 lb piston and a 1lb bearing, even if
it runs at only 100 rpm..

Prelube and then LUBE- LUBE LUBE, and then change the oil (after at least
100 - 500 miles) depending on the type of rebuild. New bearing material
(re: Cadillac) are better than the old bearings (re: MG).

(I should know I came from WY lots of Mt roads w/o people, got new
bearings in PA, lots of twistys w/ people).

Larry Macy
78 Midget
(and in keeping with the "new" signature policy)
96 Plym.. er Chry.. er Dodg.. ? Neon
87 VW Golf (daughter's)
75 Wife (still got her)
76 Kid