Re: Fuel Guage - calibration?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, cfiddes@direct.ca
Subject: Re: Fuel Guage - calibration?
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 19:41:39 +0000
cfiddes@direct.ca wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I kept an eye on the now defunct thread about broken gas gauges but
> nobody described the situation I'v got, so here goes....
>
> About two weeks into my new car and I've noticed now that my gas
> gauge registers two gallons of gas (in a car with 7+gallon tank) as
> half-full.  When the tank is full, the needle goes all the way past
> the "F" and stays there for quite some time before falling off. Once
> the needle reaches about the half-full mark, I get the number of
> miles I would expect from two gallons.
>
> It appears that everything works correctly in the sense that the
> needle travels the full continuum on the gauge.  Can the system be
> calibrated in anyway or am I looking at new parts?  I'm going to drop
> the gas tank anyway to check for corrosion so any ideas on what else
> I should check on will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chris.
> '76 Midget

Other faults not withstanding, the voltage "stabilisers" on my 73 and 75
are adjusatble, there is a small threaded rod with a flat end sticking
out of the insulated base, beside one of the connectors.  A short length
of brake tubing slightly flattened at one end makes a suitable twiddler.
 My problem on the 75 V8 is that the tank sender stops moving with abou
a gallon left, the needle never reaches 'empty'.  However it goes right
below when the ignition is off.

PaulH.