FW: Re: Basic MGTD maintance questions...

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: Basic MGTD maintance questions...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 16:30:01 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/<HTML>/i" at line 40]

     Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 09:06:23 -0400
     From: The English Connection <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
     Subject: Re: Basic MGTD maintance questions...

Truxtun Southworth wrote:

> Hello James,
> I'll take a shot at your questions, first 90w120 is a
> multi-viscosity
> gear oil which is fine for all T type rear ends and transmissions. I
>
> use 90-140. >>>SNIP>>>>
> >      I have few questions about the TD that I bought 4 months ago.
>
> > I need hypoid gear oil for the rear end and transmission, I have
> > seen this in auto parts stores as gear oil 90w120, but it does not
>
> > state if it is for hypoid gears.  Is this ok to use?
> > Thanks for your help

 Er... Being an old fart and an unabashed traditionalist, I have always
been under the impression that where any gears are involved,
specifically rear axles and gearboxes,  the key word in any oil used in
LBCs MUST BE HYPOID!!!

I use Castrol 80W-90 HYPOID in both components in my own blown TD and so
far, after 10,000 hard pushed miles, all appears well.

Geoff Love.