Re: Wiper switch mystery

To: Larry Dickstein <bugide@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Wiper switch mystery
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 15:50:14 -0500
Say what?

I thought that engaged the Lucas Automatic Gramercy System (LAGS). I've
noticed that when it is engaged and I shift from 2nd to 3rd under
moderate/heavy acceleration, there is a momentary pause and the engine
races before acceleration resumes. I thought it performed the following
diagnostic/maintenance functions:

 1.) Brings transmission oil to operating temperature.
 2.) Provides time for tires to cool.
 3.) Tests momentary blip registration capability of the Tach gauage.
 4.) Permits the valves to chip some of the carbon off the pistons.
 5.) Limits driveline shock on U-Joints.
 6.) Prevents drive belts from jumping their pulleys.
 7.) Permits air to return between seat back and driver.
 8.) Helps tighten the crank pulley on the crank snout.
 9.) Stretches the speedometer return spring.
10.) Momentary vibration knocks dirt off Lucas fuel pump contacts.

What's overdrive?

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6