RE: Pondering resurrection of MGB-I did it!

To: "'miker15@juno.com'" <miker15@juno.com>,
Subject: RE: Pondering resurrection of MGB-I did it!
From: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:50:12 -0700

 I'll give you the low down. I just did exactly what you described. I
bought a 67 MGB-GT that had been sitting for 13 years in a garage. The
gas tank was nearly empty but had a little gas in it. I just filled it
up before going any further. Installed a fuel filter in line just to be
safe. Carbs took a complete tear down and major debunking. Be very
careful not to disturb any of the adjustments as they will still be very
close to correct. Clean and gap the plugs, a little 200 grit wet dry
sandpaper between the points, and on all the rotor and cap contacts. A
little oil in each cylinder, and let sit for about 10 minutes and then
turn motor by hand.

Check the coolant level and replace the battery with a group 26 12V.

After this turn on the key and check for fuel pump operation and any
fuel leaks. If none exist and the fuel pump works your ready to try and
start it.

It will require full choke and a little footwork to keep it running.

After it starts and runs for a bit you will feel very good and know that
what comes next is not for naught.

Next start on a complete rebuild of the hydraulics, and replace the rear
cylinders instead of rebuilding them. too much aggravation for very
little savings.

After the brakes and clutch are rebuilt and the motor runs, now go back
and replace all the fuel hoses and belts, tune up parts etc. I say this
only because you will want to hear the motor run for peace of mind (I
did) then spend the $$ and time to renew everything.

BTW it took me about three weeknights and one Saturday to do this, car
runs great and have had no problems (yet)

Randy Rees
67 BGT
68 BGT
another 68 BGT