Re: Pulling Engine/Trans=Can't find...

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Pulling Engine/Trans=Can't find...
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:59:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 17 May 1997, Jay Quinn wrote:

> propellor shaft bolts.  Book says that there are 4 bolts.
>
> 2 beside the propellor shaft and 2 somewhere else.
>
> The propellor shaft seems to be boxed in and I cna't find but the 2 bolts
> front flange bolts (UX) at the end of the tranny.  I did find some at teh
> bottom of the pan where the tranny meets the UV.  They were pretty long and
> greasy, so I suspect that they are 2 of the 4 bolts that bolt the tanny to
> the bodyframe.

> 1962 Austin-Healey MKII Sprite HAN6L2874

It's a bit hard to follow your post.  It sounds as if you are trying to
disconnect the driveshaft in preparation for removing the engine and
transmission.  You actually don't need to.  There are no bolts where the
front of the driveshaft connects to the transmission -- the sliding
splined output of the trans slips into the front of the driveshaft.  If
you do wish to remove the driveshaft, there are 4, count em, 4 bolts that
hold the rear flange of the driveshaft to the rear axle.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629