Re: Oil Pressure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 15:46:53 -0700
At 06:19 PM 5/25/97 -0400, Scott Helms wrote:

>You can use the same non hardening Permatex or the blue Permatex Gasket Maker
>silicone engine sealant for the bottom side of the valve cover gasket.  Just
>make sure both surfaces are clean and dab some on both the head surface and
>the gasket surface for a good seal.  I never use sealant on the top side of
>the gasket, because it has to be removed periodically to check and adjust the
>valves.

 This is a timely thought.  Having just gone through the engine compartment
and detailing (almost) everything, fixing oil leaks here and there, I've
come up against this very thing.

What is the net wisdom regarding valve cover oil leaks on an XPAG?  I just
replaced seals and repainted everything and it's all very pretty and doesn't
leak from the usual spots but I've a right gusher pouring down the back side
of the block from the valve cover, back right side.  I used a new cork
gasket but didn't put any sealant on  either surface.  What should I do?  As
Scott says I've got to get in here to adjust the valves regularly ( probably
a lot more often than he does!) Ergo, no sealant...

I await your pearls of wisdom.....

Cheers,

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT