Results of Dashpot Question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Results of Dashpot Question
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:50:45 -0500 (EST)
Being reletively new to the list, I've missed all the previous dashpot threads.

At last count I have received 10 different answers for dashpot oil.
They are:

Marvel Mystery oil
20 wt  oil
10 wt non-detergent oil
10w30
20w50
3-1 electrical oil (20wt)
automatic transmission fluid
20wt motor cycle fork oil
Dextron automatic transmission fluid
and last (and my favorite) lead

I am surprised cat or fish oil is not an option! :)

Thanks to all who replied.  The consensus appears to be a 20 wt oil, although
transmission fluid appears to be a viable option.

I love this list!

New question.  I just had my distributor apart and did not see any felt that
has been discussed recently on the list.  Also do not see it on the blow up in
Haynes.  Is it necessary? and if so exactly where does it go?