Re: Dashpot oil

To: schooler@erols.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:28:10 +0800
Bill Schooler asked:

> We've seen this thread on a recurring basis.  And I've seen people say
> the same thing you did.  What I want to know is just what you mean by
> "good results"?  And what would be "bad results"?  And the corollary
> question, to all: why would anyone want to use something other than what
> the factory recommended?  (Engine oil)

In my case, although my GT isn't really a daily driver, because I take a
bus-ferry-bus combo to work, it is a year 'round week-end driver. In the
winter, even with our relatively mild daytime temperatures (mostly 35-45F
range), I have experienced really bad throttle response until the engine bay
warms up (about 8 to 10 miles of driving). I think this is due to over-damping
at low temperatures, due to high fluid viscosity. A quick blipping of the
throttle, such as when down shifting, doesn't have any effect on the engine
speed. I've tried many fluids in my dashpots in an attempt to overcome this
non-responsiveness, including, ATF, 5w-30 motor oil, Mystery Oil, and
Penrite SU Oil (or whatever it is that Moss sells). None have made any real
difference. My next attempt will be a 0W-30 synthetic motor oil, if I can find
one. I've read about them, but none of the my FLAPS carries anything lower than
5W-30.

Regards,
Jerry Causey - 1967 MGB GT
Whidbey Island, Washington, embraced by the Puget Sound
(fairly close to Seattle, and the rest of the USA)