Re: Delco alternator/bolt it right on

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, larryhoy@juno.com
Subject: Re: Delco alternator/bolt it right on
From: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 07:21:56 -0600
I cannot comment on the Merryman alternator but I can relate my
experience of installing the Delco alternator on my B.

I used the same alternator as Merryman is using but did not modify the
case.  I mounted it in what might best be described as an upside down
position.  By doing this the mounting ear on the Delco can be mounted to
the front side of the water pump.  The opposite side mounting ear is what
I attached the adjuster arm to.  This arm was then attached to the
standard location on the B.  The arm was purchased at a local auto parts
store.  On the back side of the alternator I designed a bracket that
attached to the standard alternator mount on the engine.

The bracket I designed for the back of the alternator is to eliminate
vibration that could easily break the ear on the water pump or the
alternator.

I bought a standard plug for the connection to the Delco and wired it to
the wiring harness on the B.

The jury is still out on this conversion, I have had this on for only a
week.  The installation looks clean and proper (if you can call a Delco
on a B proper!).

The cost for this conversion was as follows:

Alternator      $30.00
Plug               2.00
Bracket           12.00
Steel strap         2.00

Total                  $46.00

I have told some of the list participants that I would put this
information together and have it available for those on the list but I
just haven't had the time to do this.

Many of you might ask why I did such a thing to my LBC.  To those of you
that ask this question I point you to the thread on LBC reliability.  My
Lucas alternator died 4 times in less than one year.

Cheers,
Larry Hoy
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas