Re: Oil leak

To: gaughan@highway1.com
Subject: Re: Oil leak
From: dmeadow@juno.com (David C Littlefield)
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 13:17:52 EDT
Bob:-

I'm not sure I can answer all your questions, but I can give it a shot.

By "splash plate" I take it you are referring to what I call the "filter
head," which is the round structure that the external oil hose connects
to.  I'm not sure what "two" gaskets you are referring to.  There should
only be one in the block and the top edge of the filter head should fit
against it.  If you are putting one on the filter head and one on the
block and the two gaskets are touching each other, this is probably the
source of your leak.

I have a two-piece conversion unit like you and found it to be a real
pain to line it up and reinstall it.  The new one from Moss actually
replaces the filter head altogether, so this problem is eliminated.
However, the old style filter head has an oil bypass valve (see the
little spring thingie), which the Moss conversion does not.  Therefore,
you have to be sure that the filters you buy have this feature built in
(FRAM 3600 or equivalent).

Gas will work fine to clean everything up, but it is volatile and you
shouldn't let it touch your skin.  I keep a can of Brake Cleaner around
for small cleanups, but it is also volatile and carcinogenic.  It will
also clean *everything* off, so rust will start immediately on parts
susceptible to rust.

I don't think you need to worry about lining up the hole with the hose.
Although in my unit there are several holes all around that bolt to allow
flow.  If yours doesn't have those, then you might think seriously about
replacing it with the Moss version.

I'm ready to buy the Moss version myself, just because I believe in the
KISS principle, particularly when it has to do with the lifeblood of my
engine.

I was informed by a member of the MG list that my conversion unit could
actually be defective, since Moss sold some bad ones in 1989 or so and I
bought mine in 1988.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX