Re: Oil leak

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil leak
From: Bob Gaughan <gaughan@highway1.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:56:56 -0400
To follow-up on my leak arond the oil filter-maybe you can give me some
more advice.  I've taken off the filter, the spin-on adapter and the
splash plate (it's a Purolater). There is a gasket in the engine and
there is a gasket in the splash plate.

It sounds like it is important to remove both gaskets and put in new
ones-right?  What's the best way to remove the old gaskets without
screwing things up?

I'm also tempted to get the spin-on adapter from Moss.  It looks as if
that would replace the Purolater splash plate entirely.  Thoughts?

In order to get the Purolater splash plate off, I unscrewed the "Banjo
bolt".  This is a bolt with a hole in the shank that allows the flow of
oil thru the "hose" back to the engine.  Is it important that the hole
in the shank be "lined up" when I put it back in to allow the flow, or
is the joint designed to flow thru that hole anyway?

Also, when I have parts like these off and clean them up, what's the
best way- gasoline?

So any opinions on whether I should:

1.)  simply (ha!) pry out the gaskets put in new ones and stick with the
Purolater splash/Vicky Brit spin-on.
2.)  pry out gaskets and get Moss spin-on in place of Purolater splash
plate.
3.)  pry out gaskets and go back to original oil filter construction
(i.e., not spin-on)
4.)  leave existing gaskets in
5.)  other

Thanks, Bob Gaughan