Re: Question about canister

To: DavidAndMichelleS@msn.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Question about canister
From: Cancola@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:51:13 -0400 (EDT)

<< I saw one response that stated that when he re-filled his canister that a
 faint gas smell went away.  When I drive my 73 BGT about 15-20 miles I start

 getting a gas smell that gets stronger the futher I go.  Would re-filling
the
 canister help this or do you believe that I have a gas leak?? >>
David,
        I have a 73 BGT also, the gas smell is most likely a gas leak.  The
most likely spot, as was mine , is the rubber hoses going to the Vapor
Seperator , in the cavity of your right rear fender.  Look on page 15 of your
Moss catalog.  If it is the same catalog as mine it will be #76 of the
diagram.  I don't know if these hoses are available.  I took the braiding off
the old hose and got the connector ends out and bought new gas line hose at
the parts store.  Then I used hose clamps to secure the end fittings.  The
old hose is single layer stuff with the stainless steel braiding around it.
 Most  likely yours is as rotten as mine was.  The holes in mine were far
enough up that the smell and leak only occured when I filled the tank.
       The cannister is behind the carpet bulk head of the well.  Just below
the headliner wing.
       I haven't noticed any blue carpet.  My interior is ochre with Autumn
Leaf carpet ,  I made my own carpet kit with carpet matched at an upholstery
shop. I used the old carpet as a pattern and made hems along the edges
instead of the vinyl welting using 3M companies 8090 adhesive  to stick it
down.  Also use this spray adhesive to glue and form the carpet over the
wheel humps in the back.  You can with some patience do this without having
wrinkles in the carpet .  Or gray hair.
        Get the gas line fixed first...........  Bill in Colorado