Re: Ungh, LUCAS

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Ungh, LUCAS
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:15:23 -0400
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Well, I was driving along today, and I decided I
> needed some lights, and the rocker switch just exploded
> when I touched it.
>
>   ...that unmistakable sound of tiny little pieces and
> springs flying around under the dash, parts you will have
> to find without knowing what they look like or how many
> there are.
>
>   I was eventually able to get it all back together,
> anyways. Once I was in there, I decided I should have a
> go at my hazard lights that only flashed one side. (a
> new kind of 4 way, called the 2 way).
>
>   Man, no wonder they consider these switches non
> rebuildable, it's amazing from looking at them that they
> work at all the first time. But with a bit of a cleanup,
> I had that working. Ok, so I felt cocky.
>
>   Mistake, I decided for fun to fix the intermittent
> courtesy light indicators on the door. This means removing
> the door check straps, and then taking the thing out. A
> big endeavor, only to realize that the drivers side door
> one is basically a sealed unit. I can't really do anything
> with it out either, waste of time.
>
>   Looking on the schematic, it appears that there is
> a passenger's side courtesy switch too. Wow, didn't know
> that, it never worked. Let's take it apart. Mistake #2. I
> pulled out the switch to hear a "klink" as the bullet connector
> fell out of the switch and into the tiny steel box with
> no access from any side. Now, of course, everything
> being metal, the courtesy light is now on all the time,
> with no way to turn it off.
>
>   I was eventually able to fish the bullet connector up
> enough with a piece of wire to attach it to the non
> functional door switch.
>
>   So I am back where I started with, of course now I really
> want to replace the door switches even though I don't
> care about them and was only doing it for fun anyways.
>
>   Sigh. Anybody got any Midget door switches?

Don't know if this will work but it's worth a try.  Remove the switch or
at least remove power from it.  Get a can of electrical contact cleaner,
(available at Radio Shack) and drown the inside of the switch with it.
Work the plunger in and out with your finger a whole bunch of times.
Drain off any remaining cleaner, then ***let it dry***. Hook power back
up to it and give it a try.

This has worked many times for me in the past ***on other cars***.  If
this is not a good idea for the MG switches for some reason, someone
please jump in here.

Bobby
77 MGB Roadster    (Green with black spots)
--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *