Ungh, LUCAS

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ungh, LUCAS
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 03:09:23 -0400
Well, I was driving along today, and I decided I
needed some lights, and the rocker switch just exploded
when I touched it.

  ...that unmistakable sound of tiny little pieces and
springs flying around under the dash, parts you will have
to find without knowing what they look like or how many
there are.

  I was eventually able to get it all back together,
anyways. Once I was in there, I decided I should have a
go at my hazard lights that only flashed one side. (a
new kind of 4 way, called the 2 way).

  Man, no wonder they consider these switches non
rebuildable, it's amazing from looking at them that they
work at all the first time. But with a bit of a cleanup,
I had that working. Ok, so I felt cocky.

  Mistake, I decided for fun to fix the intermittent
courtesy light indicators on the door. This means removing
the door check straps, and then taking the thing out. A
big endeavor, only to realize that the drivers side door
one is basically a sealed unit. I can't really do anything
with it out either, waste of time.

  Looking on the schematic, it appears that there is
a passenger's side courtesy switch too. Wow, didn't know
that, it never worked. Let's take it apart. Mistake #2. I
pulled out the switch to hear a "klink" as the bullet connector
fell out of the switch and into the tiny steel box with
no access from any side. Now, of course, everything
being metal, the courtesy light is now on all the time,
with no way to turn it off.

  I was eventually able to fish the bullet connector up
enough with a piece of wire to attach it to the non
functional door switch.

  So I am back where I started with, of course now I really
want to replace the door switches even though I don't
care about them and was only doing it for fun anyways.

  Sigh. Anybody got any Midget door switches?
--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada